Regional Conservation Director (gn) – North/Central Africa
DRC, Africa, Employee, full-time, 7-10 years of experience
About the Project
The Africa departement is the oldest and biggest conservation programme at Frankfurt Zoological Society (FZS). In North/Central Africa we are active in Ethiopia and the Democratic Republic of Congo and protect extraordinary wilderness areas like the Bale Mountains and the Lomami Rainforest. In line with the overall FZS global strategy, the departement is committed to doubling its conservation impact by 2030. The position’s objective is to give the Africa department the capacity and put processes in place so this ambitious goal can be reached.
- Assist the Africa Director in implementing the FZS Africa Strategy by investing in, extending and expanding FZS site-based programmes to increase conservation outcomes and impact, whilst ensuring efficiency
- Lead and mange Programme Managers on site and provide technical advice and management guidance
- Support Programme managers in ensuring appropriate investment to deliver effective and efficient conservation management
- Ensure project adherence to FZS policies, standard operating procedures and reflecting organizational culture and values.
- Support development of sustainable financing strategy so that site level operational costs and priority development costs are funded.
- Contribute to development of policies and standard operating procedures for Africa Department
- Identify opportunities for growth in line with FZS strategy
- Establish and maintain international networks and partnerships that support FZS strategy and objectives, in collaboration with the Africa Director and HQ
- Ensure communications and information flow at and between HQ, Africa and site level
- Master’s degree and at least 10 years’ experience in conservation or natural resource management practice or equivalent combination of education and experience
- At least 4 years’ senior leadership experience ideally with multi-national and multi-cultural teams
- Proven experience in programme strategic development and budget management of at least $ 4 million per annum
- Proven experience in developing project design, building relations and fundraising with private, NGO and bilateral donors
- Exceptional writing and presentation skills in both French and English required (competency in German and Spanish an advantage)
- Credibility and intellectual stature to gain the trust and collaborate effectively with colleagues, donors, other partners and stakeholders
- Ability to motivate employees and to develop staff into new roles as needed for the organization
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally on a regular basis.
- Opportunity to make a significant contribution to mitigating climate change and biodiversity loss
- Chance to drive and shape the expansion of the FZS Africa Programme
- Opportunity to travel frequently to some of the most biodiversity rich and exceptional landscapes on earth
- Opportunity to work with a global team of committed and passionate individuals in an organization that encourages entrepreneurship
- Additional benefits include medical and accident insurance, pension contribution, contribution to housing and support with schooling costs for children moving to the project area
The position will be based in Kinshasa, DR Congo and is initially limited to two years with a possible longer-term perspective.
Please send your application (including motivation letter, CV and qualifying certificates) together with your salary expectations and the earliest possible starting date using our online platform or via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frankfurt Zoological Society
Lysann Tscheschner, Human Resources
We look forward to receiving your application by 12 November 2023.